Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who's On Foxtrot 1?

  I wrote this while deployed on board the USS Wyoming SSBN 742.  Being a Sonar Technician, I was always having to conduct watch turnovers.  We didn't talk about baseball, we talked about contacts, which are anything in the ocean that might be a threat.  Mostly we'd just hear whales and dolphins.  Watch any submarine movie and you'll see the sonar guy assigning a Sierra number to a contact and tracking him.  That's my job.

Who's On Foxtrot 1?

STS3 Loh: "Request turnover."
STS3 Abbot: "We have, uh, Who's on Foxtrot 1, What's on Foxtrot 2, I Don't Know's on Foxtrot 3."
STS3 Loh: "That's what I want to find out.  I want you to tell me the classifications of the contacts in ATF."
STS3 Abbot: "I'm telling you, Who's on Foxtrot 1, What's on Foxtrot 2, I Don't Know's on Foxtrot 3."
STS3 Loh: "You know the contact's classifications?"
STS3 Abbot: "Yes."
STS3 Loh: "Well then, who's on Foxtrot 1?"
STS3 Abbot: "Yes."
STS3 Loh: "I mean, the contact under Foxtrot 1."
STS3 Abbot: "Who."
STS3 Loh: "The contact in ATF under Foxtrot 1."
STS3 Abbot: "Who."
STS3 Loh: "The contact under Foxtrot 1."
STS3 Abbot: "Who's on Foxtrot 1!"
STS3 Loh: "All I'm trying to find out is, what's the classification of the contact under Foxtrot 1?"
STS3 Abbot: "No, what is on Foxtrot 2."
STS3 Loh: "I'm not asking you who's on Foxtrot 2!"
STS3 Abbot: "Who's on Foxtrot 1."
STS3 Loh: "I don't know."
STS3 Abbot: "He's on Foxtrot 3.  We're not talking about him."
STS3 Loh: "How did I get on Foxtrot 3?"
STS3 Abbot: "You mentioned his classification."
STS3 Loh: "What is the contact's classification on Foxtrot 3?"
STS3 Abbot: "What is the contact's classification on Foxtrot 2."
STS3 Loh: "I'm not asking you who's on Foxtrot 2!"
STS3 Abbot: "Who's on Foxtrot 1."
STS3 Loh: "I don't know."
STS3 Abbot and STS3 Loh together: "Foxtrot 3!"

No comments:

Post a Comment